Genre Cinema Through the Ages Part I: The beginning to the 1960s
The “Genre Cinema” I talk about in this book is the kind that tends to fall into a specific niche with its own specific and enduring audience. The films include science fiction, horror, fantasy, comic book, martial arts, anime, crime, film noir, spy movies, erotica and so on.
It is the first of two entertaining and informative E-Books which take a look at this subject. This one begins by exploring the literary origins of various genres, then looks at how they were brought to cinema screens right from the earliest days of the silent era to the end of the 1960s. I look at how genres and filmmakers inspire one another to create various trends, as well as how contemporary history impacted on them.
- What’s so significant about filmmaking pioneer George Méliès?
- What influence did the politics of Weimar Republic-era Germany have on filmmaker Fritz Lang?
- How influential was Lang’s own contribution to the Hollywood film noir genre?
- What made 1930s serials such as Flash Gordon so successful?
- How did Cold War-era paranoia and the Great Space race inspire American sci-fi filmmakers during the 1950s?
- Was the great Alfred Hitchcock really as unrivalled in the suspense thriller field as many would believe?
- How did the trauma of Hiroshima and Nagasaki inspire the Japanese kaiju monster movie subgenre?
- Which Jules Verne adaptation featured normal lizards posing as dinosaur-like reptilian monsters?
- In what ways did horror and exploitation movies become increasingly graphic during the 1960s?
- Which Italian filmmaker made four science fiction movies back-to-back, using largely the same costumes, sets and effects?
If you are interested in answers to a number of these questions then this is the E-Book for you. The sequel - out imminently - picks up from the 1970s onwards.
It is available on the Amazon Kindle bookstore in various international territories (English language only):
United Kingdom: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07647SHJ3
United States: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07647SHJ3